Hockey Helps the Homeless is a volunteer-driven charitable fundraising organization whose primary activities revolve around single-day adult fantasy hockey tournaments. In co-operation with local volunteer organizing committees in various Canadian cities, Hockey for the Homeless organizes and runs fundraising hockey tournaments to benefit local homeless programs and organizations in the host city. In addition to their tournament organizing activities, Hockey for the Homeless and its aforementioned volunteers also take responsibility for the continuous improvement of their processes, events and activities, the delivery of educational opportunities, to ensure proper stewardship, accountability and governance, and to maintain regular electronic updates/contact with participants, sponsors and partners.
Purpose of this Policy
This Policy describes the way that Hockey Helps the Homeless will, subject to applicable legal requirements, adhere to all relevant federal and provincial legislative privacy requirements. Any and all changes will be posted to the Hockey Helps the Homeless website within a reasonable timeframe.
1.2 Hockey Helps the Homeless Director of Operations will ensure that Hockey Helps the Homeless manages all personal information in its possession in accordance with this Policy including that which may be transferred to a third party. Third party organizations who handle information on behalf of Hockey Helps the Homeless shall be contractually obligated to adhere to the standards set by Hockey Helps the Homeless.
Security measures at all levels designed to protect personal information in our possession. Implementing procedures designed to respond to complaints and/or inquiries.
2. Identifying Purposes, Type of Information Collected and Website
2.1 Hockey Helps the Homeless shall only collect the information deemed reasonably necessary to conduct tournament planning and fundraising activities. Access to our Privacy policies and procedures will be readily available. To obtain further information, contact Hockey Helps the Homeless Executive Director Gary Scullion at email@example.com or 905.943.4250 ext 3522.
2.2 Hockey Helps the Homeless may collect personal information from prospective members, members, tournament participants, sponsors, NHL Alumni participants and volunteers for the purposes of planning tournaments and fundraising activities only. Specifically:
- A participant's name, address, age and hockey experience are collected to determine the player's ability and assign a team in accordance with Hockey Helps the Homeless tournament strategies.
- A participant's credit card information may be collected during the donation, sponsorship or registration process through a secure third party online payment system.
- Information concerning an individual's skill level as well as feedback on tournament and fundraising activities may be collected to measure the success of our programs in order that we may better plan future tournaments and activities.
- E-mail addresses may be collected for the purposes of facilitating membership, participant, sponsorship, volunteer and NHL Alumni communication related to upcoming events, activities and the funds disbursement process.
- Information about emergency contacts and health to ensure our activities are carried out in a safe and secure environment.
- Potential and actual insurance claims and the subsequent investigation thereof.
- Information collected to defend Hockey for the Homeless against legal action brought against Hockey Helps the Homeless.
2.3 Hockey Helps the Homeless will endeavour to ensure that all collectors of the personal information are familiar with the potential use of the personal data.
2.4 Hockey Helps the Homeless will request permission on an individual basis for the use of any personal data collected which is extraneous to that which has been identified above, unless said usage is authorized by law.
2.5 Information you are asked to provide during your use of our website may include your name, address, e-mail address, age, sex [and the other types of personal information listed in paragraph 2.2]. All such personal information will be treated within the same parameters as other personal information collected by Hockey Helps the Homeless through other means. Our website also collects non-identifiable information about users such as the users IP address, the sections of the website visited and the information downloaded. Hockey Helps the Homeless may use this non-identifiable information and disclose it to service providers, for system administration purposes and to improve the website.
3.2 Hockey Helps the Homeless recognizes that hockey by its nature is a contact sport and injuries are to a certain extent inherent to the game. We believe medical records, medical history and medical forms of the individual may be of assistance in an emergency situation and therefore we may request them. While our participants and prospective participants are under no obligation whatsoever to supply this information and may refuse to do so without penalty, Hockey Helps the Homeless will consider receipt of this information as consent for its subsequent use in an emergency medical situation.
3.4 Hockey Helps the Homeless may collect personal information without consent where reasonable to do so and where permitted by law.
4. Limiting Collection
4.2 Hockey Helps the Homeless shall not indiscriminately collect information. The amount and type of information we collect shall be limited to that which is required to fulfill our identified purposes.
4.3 Hockey Helps the Homeless will not use any form of deception in gaining personal information from its members, participants, sponsors and volunteers.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
5.1 Subject to applicable legislation, Hockey Helps the Homeless shall limit use of personal information it collects to purposes that we have disclosed in Sections 2 (Identifying Purposes) and 3.2, Consent.
5.2 Hockey Helps the Homeless shall maintain documents for certain periods of time dependant upon necessity. More specifically:
- We typically maintain registration data for a three year period following a tournament in the event that an individual chooses to return to one of our events.
- Hockey Helps the Homeless may disclose your personal information to a government authority that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information or where the association has reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful in the investigation of an unlawful activity, or to comply with a subpoena or warrant or an order made by the court, person, or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of the information or otherwise as permitted by applicable law.
- Hockey Helps the Homeless may, at its discretion, release personal information for the purposes of collecting debts which may be owed to Hockey Helps the Homeless.
5.3 Certain documents may be subject to legislated retention periods either federally or provincially and these will be respected at all times by Hockey Helps the Homeless.
6.1 Hockey Helps the Homeless shall strive to ensure to the extent possible that the information entrusted to us is maintained in an accurate manner.
6.2 Hockey Helps the Homeless shall only update information in the event of a registration, donation and/or an update.
7.1 Security safeguards have been implemented to ensure your personal information is protected from theft as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification thereof.
7.2 The level of safeguards employed shall be directly related to the level of sensitivity of the personal information collected. The more sensitive the information, the higher the level of security employed.
7.3 Methods of protection and safeguards to be employed shall include but in no way be limited to locked files, offices and storage areas, security clearances and need to know access as well as technological measures such as passwords and encryption.
8.2 The information available includes:
- The name address and phone number of the Hockey Helps the Homeless Director of Operations.
- The online forms which you may use to register for one of our tournaments.
- A description of the type of personal information held by Hockey Helps the Homeless and our general uses thereof. This includes:
- Registration information, including: name, age, address, medical information, e-mail addresses and credit card information where applicable.
9. Individual Access
9.1 Subject to applicable legislation, upon request by the individual concerned, Hockey for the Homeless shall disclose whether or not it actually holds personal information on an individual.
9.2 Hockey Helps the Homeless may request sufficient information to confirm your identity before releasing your personal information to you.
9.3 Subject to applicable legislation, Hockey Helps the Homeless shall endeavour to provide this information within 30 days of receipt of the information requested. This information shall be provided in an appropriate format.
9.4 Any inaccurate information that is brought to our attention shall be corrected by Hockey for the Homeless as quickly as possible and any pertinent third parties shall be apprised of the corrections in due course.
10. Challenging Compliance
10.1 Hockey Helps the Homeless shall investigate all compliance complaints. If the complaint is deemed justified, Hockey Helps The Homeless shall take the appropriate steps to ensure that compliance is achieved and will make changes to its policies to ensure future compliance.
10.2 All complaints shall be addressed to the Hockey Helps the Homeless Director of Operations: Michael Coughlin, (514) 966-2522, firstname.lastname@example.org